Year 9 Curriculum - Geography
- What shapes the coast?
- Erosion features
- Depositional features
- Living on the coast
- Coastal management
- Hard and soft engineering
- Coral reefs
- Sea levels rising
- Where are tropical rainforest around the World?
- Why are they found there?
- What is their climate like?
- What is the structure of the forest like?
- How do plants and animals adapt?
- How do people live in the forest?
- What problems do the forests face?
- What can be done about it?
- What is development?
- What are development indicators?
- How is the World divided?
- Employment around the world
- Challenging perceptions
- Rich and poor
- How can we improve quality of life?
- Where are the hazards of the world?
- What are the characteristics of plate boundaries?
- How do plates move?
- What are the processes that cause earthquakes and volcanoes?
- Can we ever prepare for natural hazard?
- Why do people live in the danger zone?
- Are hazards getting worse? Can we increase the risk or frequency?
- What causes people to move to urban areas?
- How do the opportunities and challenges in urban areas vary around the World?
- How can cities be more sustainable?
- What changes have taken place where people live over time?
- Are the urban models appropriate today?
- How are population structures changing today?
- Can we manage and control a population?
- Where in the World are we?
- Longitude and latitude?
- Grid references and map skills.
- Understanding maps
- How to draw graphs
- How to understand graphs
- How to interpret maps
- How to interpret images
|Half term 1||Half term 2||Half term 3||Half term 4||Half term 5||Half term 6|
|Topic: Coasts||Topic: Population||Topic: Ecosystems||Topic: Development||Topic: Skills unit||Topic: Hazards|
|1||What is a multi use coast?||Review test||Introduction about rainforests where are rainforests located around the world.||What is development?||Review on 4 and 6 figure grid references.||Introduction to hazards, what is a hazard?|
|2||How do waves form and shape the coast?||
Where do we live on a global scale?
|What is the climate of the rainforest like and why?||How can we measure it?Development indicators||How can we understand height on an os map?||Structure of the earth|
|3||What different factors affect the shape of the coast?||Introduction to hazards, what is a hazard?||What is an eco system? Look at different systems||What is the HDI and what does it tell us?||How can we measure scale on an os map?||To understand how and why plates move
|4||What are the different erosion types?||Population density||Look at how changes can impact on the food chains||Is the North south divide or GDP a better measurement?||How to interpret resources?||
Mapping hazards, looking at patterns
|5||How does erosion change a headland over time?||What affects birth rate and death rate?||PPE||Comparing quality of life||PPE 3 on development||What are the three different plate boundaries|
|6||What is longshore drift?||What is the DTM and what does it show?||Review lesson PLC||Blood diamond||Review and PLC||Understanding what happens at each, mapping examples|
|7||Evaluating the type and effectiveness of sea defences.||Construction of population pyramids and understanding what they show||What is the structure of the rainforest like?||Development and employement||How to construct and interpret pie charts||Nepal LIC case study effects of an earthquake|
|8||Reviewing sea defences||Over population in China.||How do different species adapt to surroundings?||Is aid good?||How to construct and interpret choropleth maps||Japan HIC case study effects of an earthquake|
|9||Place case study erosion at Holderness.||How to manage overpopulation (one child policy)||How do tribes adapt to their environment?||The trade game||How to use and understand proportional sysmbols||How can we manage earthquakes, the 3 p's?|
|10||What is the impact of sea levels rising in the UK?||Patterns of urbanisation||What conflicts have an impact on tribal life?||Review the game, how can we be fair when it comes to trade?||How to use and understand flow lines||Comparing earthquakes in HIC and LICs|
|11||What impact are humans having to our ecosystems?||Who are the mega cities, patterns and characteristics||Deforestation and the implications on people and the environment||How to construct and understand scatter graphs||Understanding why people live in the danger zone.|
|12||Class based or hall ppe||What challenges do slum areas in India face?||Sustainable development in rainforests||How can we interpolate and extrapolate data||What is the structure of a volcano and review the causes of an eruption|
|13||What opportunities are available in the slums Dharavi||Effects of an eruption, Mount st Helens|
|14||How can we manage an eruption?|