Year 8 Curriculum - Science
In Year 8 you will all study the same course and during the year you will study the following topics:-
- Why do we eat? Includes the study of what your body needs from your food and how to effectively provide that
- How do organisms live together? Includes the study of the interactions between organisms around us
- How do organisms survive? Includes the study of what species need to live
- What happens when we burn materials? Are acids always dangerous? Includes the study of physical and chemical changes such as combustion and neutralisation.
- How do we get useful materials from the earth? Includes the study of how rock is cycled and how we then use it
- Is it all a balancing act? Includes the study of the forces around us, how they affect us and how we use them
You will experience engaging and interactive lessons where you will be challenged to be curious. You will be given opportunities to investigate scientific concepts and relate your learning to the world around you, including future careers. Formative assessment will occur throughout the topics with termly summative assessments using GCSE questions.
You can prepare for these assessments using your exercise book, revision guides (that can be purchased from the school), 'Review key ideas' sections on Firefly and internet sites such as BBC Bitesize. Please remember to engage in active revision e.g. creating mind maps, question loops, card sorts.