Year 8 Curriculum - Geography
Energy and the Environment
- What is the difference between renewable and non-renewable energy?
- What are fossil fuels and how are they formed?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of different types of energy?
- The energy debate.
- What is global warming, what problems does it cause and what can we do about it?
- How can we be more sustainable?
- What is globalisation?
- How are we connected to the world?
- What are the different job industries?
- What does this tell you about a country?
- What is a production chain?
- Where do we make our clothes?
- What is life like in sweatshops?
- Fair trade
Crime in Geography
What is crime? What are the different types of crime, Using skills to assess how safe different areas are? Which crimes are more common and why on a local scale? Which crimes are more common on a global scale and why? Mapping crime.
- Introduction to crime
- Comparing the types of crime in different wards in Birmingham
- Evaluating criminal stereotypes
- Mapping crime
- How can we solve crime?
- Modern day piracy
- Local fieldwork evaluating crime
- Where are the cold environments found around the World?
- What is the history behind the exploration of the Arctic Circle?
- What species are found in cold environments?
- How do they adapt to the climate?
- Who owns Antarctica?
- Why is Antarctica useful?
- Why do people visit Antarctica?
- How can we protect the environment?
- Introduction to Russia
- What is the climate like?
- Where do people live in Russia?
- What is life like in urban and rural Russia?
- How do the animals survive the cold climate?
- Why is Moscow growing?
- What happened in Chernobyl?
- Trade issues- fair trade
- Clean water sources
- Is there enough food for everyone?
- What can we do to control rivers?
- Living with pirates
- Is there a global divide?